Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th, 2001: Where were you when it happened?

Everyone remembers where they were, and what they were doing the morning of September 11th, 2001. Many of you know exactly where I was, and what I was doing. I was in the middle of another award winning morning show, and the first official news report that I heard was during the 8:00am news from ABC Radio. Their report mentioned a "small plane" had hit one of the twin towers.

We don't have televisions at the station, so getting any visual perspective for us was not easy. All we would get would be through internet sites, and by 8:00am, the internet was moving at a snail's pace as people just like me were trying to find out everything they could.

The newscast ended at 8:04, a minute after the second plane hit. There was no mention of that on the newscast. My boss, Jack came up to the studio and told me that a second plane had hit the other tower. We soon picked up the ABC news audio coverage, and we spent the rest of the morning here at the station listening to Peter Jennings tell us what was happening.

It wasn't until I got home that afternoon that I got to see the horrible video images.

Our daughter, Megan was just a one-year old at that time. I remember sitting with her during the coverage that day and night. She was oblivious to the events and more concerned with simple things like pacifiers, rattles, and Elmo. I just looked at her, wondering what kind of world she was about to grow up in. I teared up a little, gave her a kiss and a hug, and braced myself for a life and a world that would never be the same.

Where were you that day? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Iwas at work in a room without windows, one lady had her radio on and told us that a plane had hit one of the towers. When the second plane hit we turned on WJDK and listened all day to the reports. Late in the afternoon on my way home I saw a jet trail in the sky, of course every plane had been grounded, son it frightened me. Later it was announced that the president had landed west of here and what I saaw was him going back to Washington.