Sunday, April 05, 2009

Opening Day

There's nothing like opening day of the major league baseball season. Everyone has a shot.

Even the Cubs.

Normally at this time, as a Phillies fan, I'd be heading to the start of the year with equal bits of optimism and negativity. Eager for a season where my team would have a good chance to make the playoffs -- at least, since their recent resurgence of good baseball, for the last decade or so -- but doubtful that they'd get to, or win a world series because Philly teams just don't do that very often.

Of course, that all changed last October.

So, with the 2008 World Series title in the hands of my beloved Phightin Phils, I can head into this 2009 season without as much stress and trepidation as in past years.

Bad losses, individual slumps, prolonged losing streaks will be met with a little bit more of an acceptance, since, after all, we won the world series last year.

Now, don't get me wrong, if Brett Myers gives up a 2-run home run in the first inning tonight, I'll be cursing under my breath, rolling my eyes, and filled with frustration...just not as much as in previous years.

Following a favorite team during the long baseball season is unlike anything else in sports. Of course there are going to be good times and bad times, high points and low points. Thanks to that World Series win, I'm hoping to handle all the valleys a little bit better than previously.

Check back with me in October to see how all of that went.

Enjoy the games.

(If you'd like to read some of my stories surrounding the title chase for my Phillies from 2008 you can check out my feelings after their World Series victory here.

I blogged about the Phillies during the month of October with those entries available here.)

No comments: