So, in the eight days since I wrote this glowing assessment of the Phightin' Phils, the following has occurred...
* They were swept four straight games in Houston against the sub .500 Astros, three times by one run.
* Brad Lidge blows his 10th save of the season, loses his closer's job in the middle of (potentially) blowing his 11th -- against Washington.
* J.A. Happ is forced to miss a few starts with an injury, forcing (gasp) Kyle Kendrick into the rotation today.
* Brett Myers and Ryan Madson -- the two pitchers counted on to replace Lidge -- combine to allow five runs to the Mets over the course of the final two innings Saturday turning a 9-5 lead into a 10-9 loss.
* The Phillies -- losers of 6 out of their last 9 -- see their lead in the NL East has dropped from 8 1/2 games down to 5, and they still play Florida six more times.
Ok, time to start ignoring them again. Good luck today, boys. I'll check the scores in the morning. Don't be surprised if that lead has dropped to 3 1/2, and a sudden increase in Xanax prescriptions in the Philadelphia area (and one stray case in suburban Chicago).
What time do the Eagles kickoff today?