Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Tony's Last Supper


Just when I thought I was out...

Speculation continues at a feverish pace as to what happened, or what was inferred to have happened at the end of The Sopranos' final episode. I'm still stumped. I go back and forth between several theories:

* Tony gets killed at the exact moment the screen goes black
* We, the audience get whacked at the final moment
* The show simply stops because there is no ending. It's simply life goes on for this family, and we don't get the chance to see the "end".

These are the three theories that seem to carry the most weight, and depending on what time of day you ask me, I'm likely to lean towards either of these choices.

I wouldn't have even bothered with this post, had I not stumbled across three separate websites that have offered more detailed analysis of that final scene, and many so-called clues from previous episodes as well, that I feel obligated to share with you.

So, if you have some spare time -- and you must, if you're reading this -- check out these for kicks and giggles...

- Bob Harris offers many clues that we didn't just witness Tony's death, but his funeral as well.

- The Washington Post's Michael Cavna agrees that Tony has been clipped. (Stick with this post through all of the comments -- including some additional ones from Cavna).

- A shot-by-shot breakdown of the now famous Holsten's scene provided by the blog "A Lesson A Day".

All are fun reads...if you don't mind the throbbing headache that comes with it.

No comments: