Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm Nutty

I just wanted to take a moment to express my love -- an everlasting, and long lasting one at that -- for Nutty Bars.

I can't get enough of these things.

And, I've only returned to them within the last couple of years.

I've always enjoyed the combination of chocolate and peanut butter (and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are in the team photo as far as favorite treats, too), and there's something about the texture and taste of Nutty Bars that makes them a daily staple in my life.

I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid. Back then, though, I ate them complete different.

You've probably done it, too.

The old "take each layer of the wafer off one at a time and lick the peanut butter out of each hole, then eat the chocolate wafer and move on to the next layer" trick.

Some nights, I'd eat one of the two wafers in the package that way, and eat the other one intact. Some nights I'd go for it and eat each one by breaking it apart.

It certainly made the eating experience last longer -- always a plus with a food I love -- and it brought me closer to the Nutty Bar. More intimate.

Okay, I may be going overboard a bit, but you get the idea.

For whatever reason, as I got older, I went away from the Nutty Bar. No real reason. I don't even remember why, actually.

But a couple of years ago while grocery shopping, I noticed a big display of Nutty Bars on sale for $1.00 a box. It was like running into an old flame ten years later and they still look as hot as they did in the old days. All the memories come back, even the ones about eating peanut butter out of their holes.

Come on, folks. I'm talking about the Nutty Bars here.

So, I bought a(bout six) box(es).

I've been hooked again ever since. It's the highlight of my lunch each day. That first bite is always a knee buckler. And, I don't separate the wafers anymore. It's just eaten the way it was designed to, and that's fine by me.

Maybe I had forgotten how good Nutty Bars tasted, and that's why I was away from them for so long, but, man, when you take that first bite and remember how good it is...mmmm, mmmm, mmmm.

Same way I feel each time I bite into a Pringle, Funyun, or a Susie-Q. "Man, that tastes GREAT!"

So, next time you're out and about and you see Nutty Bars at the Little Debbie display, grab a box. Bring back those old memories, or discover a taste sensation.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have five more boxes in my basement right now, that -- after a binge purchase on a day when they were on sale again for $1.00 a box -- have an expiration date of January 31st.

Time to get my Nutty on.

No comments: