Wednesday, June 04, 2008

My Brother Joins The Club


Congratulations to my brother, Rick, and his new bride, Allison. The happy couple tied the knot last weekend.

They met in Australia back in 2001, each on a separate trip from an Illinois school.

One of the friends they had in Australia came to the wedding. I did my best to restrain myself from asking if he knew any of The Bee Gees, or The Wiggles.

My cousin and her husband flew in from Minnesota for the event, as well. It was great to see them again. We only get to hang out once or twice a year. I didn't bother to ask them if they knew Prince.

Did that already.

The weekend was nothing but fun, even though rain cut short our Friday morning round of golf. We simply adjusted our schedule to include a stop at Hooters and then Arlington Race Course instead. Of course, as soon as we sat down at Hooters, the sun came out.

Our youngest daughter, Sarah, threw a big fit and wouldn't let my wife leave the hotel to join us at the rehearsal dinner. Even with a babysitter all lined up, it just wasn't meant to be.

Ahh, kids. Paying attention Rick and Allison?

The wedding day went off without a hitch. Our oldest, Megan, was the flower girl. The smile on her face as she walked down the aisle was my favorite moment of the whole weekend. Although, it was a tad bittersweet, as it's a smile I'll be seeing on her face coming down an aisle all too soon.

Not too soon, I hope.

She got her first ride in a limo shortly after the ceremony, and her first sip of champagne as well. She loved it. The limo ride, that is.

She also stole the show on the dance floor at the reception. I wish I had a dollar for everytime a group of dancers formed a circle around her.

After a bit of rest overnight, many from the reception -- mainly the two families -- gathered one last time for breakfast at the hotel. Our families really get along well, and instead of simply being happy for Rick and Allison, there was a genuine sense of happieness to now be connected with a new family, made up of really good people.

It was a fitting end to a really great weekend.

So, raise a glass to Rick and Allison, new members of the married club. Welcome aboard, brahh.

No comments: