Friday, March 20, 2009

Newsflash: Dead Skunks Are Not Fun

Yesterday was a treat. I had the pleasure of removing a dead skunk from my yard.

A few days ago we had noticed a skunk smell, but it wasn't constant. That happens about 50 times a year usually, right? I thought nothing more about it.

Then, a couple of days ago, I had to walk down the side of our house to get to the backyard when I smelled it again. I stopped, got my skunk detecting radar out and spotted some white and black hair in amongst some leftover leaves from the fall.

I wasn't sure at that time whether Pepe La Pew was still alive, so I tossed a couple of rocks in that direction, and there was no movement.

Great. Dead skunk. After a hopeful call to animal control, I was told that since it was in my yard, it was my responsibility to remove it.

Thanks.

So, after putting a yard bag in one of our backup trash cans, I shoveled up Pepe, dumped him into the bag, tied it tight, and tossed his body into the Hudson River.

Well, not quite.

No comments: