Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Bird(ie)s!

In case anyone was wondering, I played some of the best golf of my life on Sunday. At least on the back nine.

I'm normally a "bogey golfer", which basically means that over the course of 18 holes, I'll shoot at, or around 18 over par, or, averaging a bogey each hole. On a normal par-72, that means I'd shoot a 90 on most occasions.

I rarely shoot much better than that.

There was one afternoon many years ago at Nettle Creek in Morris -- while playing fast to avoid a looming thunderstorm -- that I blazed the course and shot a 79, my best round ever. Sadly, I was playing alone, and since I've rarely even approached breaking 80 before or since, let's just say it would have been a lot better if there was someone around to corroborate my story.

I had no intention of having a really good day this past Sunday, mainly because I'd never played this course before, and I've only played one other round this year.

After double bogeying the 2nd hole -- even after using a mulligan on my tee shot that went in the drink -- I certainly wasn't thinking about shooting a low score.

And, for the first nine holes, I certainly didn't shoot a low score. I sloshed my way to a very mediocre (for me) 47.

Being a bogey golfer, 90 is my "par" score. If I break 90, I had a good day. So, my goal for the back nine was to shoot 42 and save my round.

I got off to a good start with a par on 10, and then, I got all Y.E. Yang on everyone.

Birdie on 10, birdie on 12, and a birdie on 18!

Three birdies in one day! I go three years without three birdies sometimes.

Even my dad -- roughly a 40-handicapper -- got in on the act. He hit a marvelous tee shot on the par-3 16th to about six feet, and drained the putt.

You have to understand my dad doesn't rack up too many birdies. With a bad back and various shoulder and hand injuries, let's just say he isn't very Daly-esque off the tee.

In fact, the tee shot on the par-3 16th...was with his driver.

Still, his birdie was a highlight of the day for him, and for me and my brother as well.

As for my final nine holes, I finished with a 37 (one over for the back nine) and a total of 84.

Take that, Tiger.

Wait. Take that Y.E.!

And, this time, I had witnesses.

No comments: