Friday, January 26, 2007

The Top 100 Guitar Solos

Eddie Van Halen turns 50 today. I was a pretty big Van Halen fan way back when. During my high school years, back in the cassette era, I had four bins that each contained about twelve cassette tapes. I used those bins for my favorite groups at the time. Van Halen was one of them.

They weren't quite at the top of the list -- they actually shared a bin with my Metallica tapes -- but they were in my Top 5. The other three bins went to Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Genesis by the way.

One of my favorite concerts was the Van Halen show I saw in October, 1988 (The OU812 tour). I never had a problem with the Sammy Hagar era, and I enjoyed the David Lee Roth stuff, too.

Now there's talk of a Van Halen reunion with David Lee Roth. Michael Anthony won't be there, but the Van Halens will, all three of them...Alex, Eddie, and Eddie's son Wolfgang!

I always appreciated Eddie's guitar playing, but was equally impressed when he'd get behind the keyboards (an instrument I play) and crank out some memorable chord runs in many of their hits.

Of course, I was most impressed with Eddie because he got Valerie Bertinelli.

But I digress.

With Eddie turning 50 today, I thought it'd be a perfect time to point you in the direction of the 100 Greatest Guitar Solos Ever. The beautiful thing about this list, is that there are video links for the Top 20, and several others as well.

Just go to the page I linked for you, and you'll be able to figure out the rest.

No comments: